"Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry."
- John Lennon, 1963, at the high point of the group's set during the Royal Variety Performance before members of the British Royal Family.
"We ice skate."
- George Harrison, 1964, when asked by a reporter "What do you do when you're cooped up in a hotel room between shows?"
- John Lennon, 1964, when asked by a reporter "What have you seen that you like best about our country?"
"I don't know, it must be the weather."
- John Lennon, 1964, when asked by a reporter "Why do you think you're so popular all of a sudden?"
"So this is America. They must be out of their minds."
Ringo Starr, circa 1964, arriving in America for the first time.
"I call it Arthur"
- George Harrison, 1964, when asked what the Beatles called their haircuts.
"There's a woman in the United States who predicted the plane we were traveling on would crash. Now, a lot of people would like to think we were scared into saying a prayer. What we did actually--we drank."
- Ringo Starr, 1966
"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that. I'm right and will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first, rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were think and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.
- John Lennon, 1966 (This quote sparked quite a large controversy, as many of you might know)
"Look, I wasn't saying the Beatles are better than God or Jesus. I said 'Beatles' because it's easy for me to talk about Beatles. I could have said TV or the cinema, motor cars or anything popular and I would have gotten away with it."
- John Lennon, 1966
"No I wouldn't say that at all."
- John Lennon, 1966, in response to the question "Do you feel you are being cruicified?"
"[LSD] went on for years. I must have had a thousand trips. I used to just eat it all the time."
- John Lennon, 1970
"There's high, and there's high, and to get really high--I mean so high that you can walk on the water, that high--that's where I'm goin'."
- George Harrison, circa 1968
"I hope the fans will take up meditation instead of drugs."
- Ringo Starr, 1967
"It [LSD] opened my eyes. We only use on-tenth of our brain. Just think of what we could accomplist if we could only tap that hidden part! It would mean a whole new world if the politicians would take LSD. There wouldn't be any more war or poverty or famine."
- Paul McCartney, 1967
"I now realize that taking drugs was like taking an aspirin without having a headache.
- Paul McCartney, 1967
Category: Music Quotes